I was really un-motivated when i walked into my textiles module today, we had module reviews and i was really nervous about what Will would say because i didn’t have many samples, nor had i annotated them or got much research, but i was really stuck on what to look for and how to annotate.
Throughout the lesson i tried to avoid having my module review and wanted to get a few more samples done so i felt like i had made the most out of my studio time. I mixed up a black dye with 20g dye powder and 3 litres of water, i have mixed up black dye before and left fabric in there for an hour and it still isnt completely black so i added a bit of dark brown dye powder to see if that worked, i left the wool in there for 30 minutes and it was an intense black after i’d washed it out and dried it. I was really pleased that i’d experimented with the dye and produced the colour that i wanted, as i can now use this in both modules.
I feel really confident in using the recipes in the print room as Louise taught me on Thursday how to do it all properly, and as i put everything together myself i learned as i went along. I have been mixing up my own dyes and discharge pastes for the last few lessons and soon i’ll probably be able to do it without using the book, it’s nice when my classmates ask me how to mix something up and i know how to do it.
I made a few prints and steamed them for 20 minutes before the lesson ended, i was sure they weren’t going to be as nice as they were when they came out of the steamer but they were actually beautiful samples, they looked completely different. The colour discharge and clear discharge came out really well, as the samples weren’t in the steamer for long they didn’t process completely which is what i wanted so i think 20-30 minutes is a perfect time for my samples.
At the end of the lesson i had 7 really lovely new samples, one in which was my favourite, i had devored and dyed black but not left it in the dye for long so it was grey, and then discharge printed in a different image on the back, the discharge through the devore was nice, however on the side of the sample the discharge had bled and looked so nice, i really liked this so im going to dye devore without devore paste and try discharging on the back to see if this happens on the whole sample.
I was surprised with what Will said to me as he said he was really pleased with the work that i had done, he said it’s definitely quality over quantity unlike last year and he said i was definitely producing that, i know that i need to work on my research and annotate my file before it starts becoming over whelming, so i am going to use my time this week to do this.