We were asked after last lesson to produce a range of prints in black and white that we could transfer on to a screen, reason being so that we could produce a range of prints using colour and layer, these prints will progress over the weeks and the ones that are most successful we will work in to, using flocking, foiling, dying, devoure etc.
I created about 20 designs, including hand drawn prints, and also photocopies in black and white and negative from my summer project. However, i thought that my hand drawn designs were a lot more effective than my photocopied prints so I ended up using most of those as they were newer to me. After i created these i began playing around with scale on the photocopier, making some prints larger and i actually really liked them.
These were my final prints, i thought they were the ones that looked best together, my finals included two original hand drawn prints, two negative photocopies: one in which is a negative from another, and an enlarged print. I used all new prints and none from my summer project as i wanted to use it as inspiration but create newer, more interesting prints.
When i transferred my prints on to the first screen, it didn’t come out very well, as i have never exposed a screen before so i washed it off at too higher pressure therefore the print came off too. However, even though my screen was a bit of a disaster, i didn’t give up. I decided to still make some prints to give me a rough idea of what they would look like when exposed successfully. Will told me to pick some colours that were already mixed that contrasted, so i chose a turquoise, a bright magenta, and a pale but bright orange. I actually really liked these colours together and have decided to use them as my colour way for this project.
Even though the prints didn’t come out how i wanted them to i really liked them. They were exciting and busy and i love how the colours layer on top of each other, the top right hand photo in the image above shows the orange coming through underneath the magenta, i didn’t think this would happen but i found it quite interesting, it was an accident that i hope i can produce again when i next print on my more successful screen.